I really like lemonades on mate basis. They are pretty refreshing on hot summer days and thanks to the coffein in the mate it keeps you awake in longs nights. In difference to other energy drinks and most other caffeinated soft drinks it does not include any chemical substances that always add this unhealthy feeling when drinking e.g. cola.
One of my current favorites in mate lemonades beneath the original ClubMate is ChariTea Mat. It is made of a blend of mate tea and black tea mixed with some orange and lemon juice.
As I really like to produce stuff on my own, I wanted to try to 'brew' my own lemonade. Therefore I altered the Dave Mate recipe to get something similar to ChariTea Mate.
- 500ml water
- 500ml soda
- 15g mate tea leaves
- 5g black tea leaves (I use Assam)
- 30ml orange juice
- 30ml lemon juice
- cane sugar or agave syrup (I use about 50g cane sugar, the original ingredients contain syrup)
- Fill both sorts of tea in 2-3 tea filters and brew it with 500ml of about 75°C warm water for 5 minutes
- mix the sugar with both juices and add it to the premade tea
- wait... (let the lemonade syrup cool down)
- mix 1 part syrup with 1 part soda